5 Types of Birds Nest Classification
Comprehensive guide to birds nest classification.
Classification by Appearance (Color)
Depending on the environment and the swift’s mineral intake content, the nests will vary in color
1) White – Suited for everyone, benefits include nourishing and promoting youthful complexion & boosting the immunity.
2) Golden – Suited for pregnant women and middle-aged people as it has an increased mineral content.
3) Red – Suited for Pregnant women, anemia patients, those who need replenishment after surgery as it has high mineral content to replenish blood and calcium content.
Classification by Country of Origin
Edible bird’s nest only originate from South East Asia.
1) Indonesia – Texture is smoother, softer and cleaner with fewer impurities as the majority of the nests are harvested from Indonesia’s house nests. Indonesia produces approximately 80% of the world’s supply. Prices are generally lower.
2) Thailand – These birds nests are thicker and firmer with higher density thus it requires more soaking and cooking time. As the majority of the nests are cultivated from the caves with a small production volume, the prices are generally higher.
3) Malaysia – With higher production of feather prime nests bird’s nest, bird’s nest from Malaysia are usually processed into cakes and prices are low.
4) Vietnam – These bird’s nest are higher quality and richer taste and aroma due to an ideal environment conditions for bird’s nest in Vietnam. Bird’s nest here are limited in supply and prices are higher.
Classification by Shape and Size
Being a natural food product, edible bird’s nest come in many different shapes and sizes:
1) Cup – Whole nest that ranges from large to extra large size (top grade).
2) Triangle – Triangular shaped bird’s nest that are medium in size.
3) Strips – Broken pieces from whole bird’s nest,
4) Cakes – Tiny bird’s nest pieces that are shaped into the shape and size of a biscuit.
Classification by Terrain
Edible bird’s nests are harvested from only two types of terrain shown below:
1) House Nest – Swifts build their nests inside a house located near to the sea where the environment is ideal and more controlled; therefore leading to fewer impurities and feathers in the bird’s nest.
2) Cave Nest – Swifts build their nests on mountain and rock caves and cliffs near the sea. The natural climate and environment affects the texture which tends to be stiffer and harder. But generally cave nests contain more foreign materials and feathers than house nests.
Classification by pre-cleaning quality
Type of edible bird’s nest prior to cleaning processing.
1) Premium (Aerodramus Fuciphagus) nests – Consist of 95% saliva and 5% feathers
2) Feather prime nests – Consist of 50% saliva and 50% feathers
3) Grass nests – Consist of 5% saliva with grass and twigs
Now that you have learnt about the types of birds nest classifications, why not read about the 7 ways to differentiate between pure bird nest and fake bird nest.